Your Looks Are Our Concern
Moles on the skin are common and most of them are harmless.To schedule a FREE Skin Care Consultation or mole evaluation / skin cancer screening with Dr. Van Reken here at the Reno Sparks MedSpa, give us a call at
It is wise to monitor any moles that you have to ensure that they don't become cancerous.
Brown moles are formed by small bunches of pigment cells that are grouped together and can appear in many different colors. Reddish or pink moles often have a higher than normal number of blood vessels in them.
Most moles are brown, black, or flesh colored & can appear on your face & other body parts.
We Offer Mole Removal and Skin Cancer Screening Services:
You can get your moles surgically removed for cosmetic reasons. Calvin Van Reken, MD has experience in mole removal using minimal invasive surgical techniques with laser technology or radiofrequency using the Ellman Surgitron machine which typically produce minimal scarring. No stitches are used with these techniques.
More troublesome moles with some suspicion of skin cancer are handled differently. Sometimes we take a small sample with a shave technique. Shave techniques are popular as when the mole is benign it often looks much better after the biopsy and without a large cut. We then use the Ellman Surgitron machine to smooth out the edges of the biopsy so it is cosmetically appealing. For darker moles sometimes we’ll do a punch biopsy. Sometimes standard cutting and suturing is done, especially for noncosmetic areas like the back.
There has been a significant increase in the incidence of melanoma in recent years due to the depletion of the ozone layer and as malignant melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. When caught early it is highly curable. When caught late it is often fatal. It is wise to get any moles or spots checked on a regular basis.
Skin cancers are especially common in the following types of patients:
• Those with prior skin cancer.
• Those with a family member with skin cancer.
• Light colored skin, usually with blue or green eyes.
• Those with a prior organ transplant, such as a kidney transplant.
• Those with obvious sun damage (freckling or pigmented sun spots on the skin).
• Those with prior sun exposure such as farmers, sun worshipers & outdoor workers.
• Those who grew up or currently live in areas with heavy ultraviolet rays such as deserts, mountains, sunny areas or who have spent a lot of time south of the border.
A healthy mole will generally be flat or slightly raised, and will be even in color and texture and most have a diameter of under 6 mm.
We are more likely to biopsy moles and look for cancer if one or more of the following characteristics are present:
• Asymmetrical appearance
• Irregular borders to the mole
• Reddish or purple color or mixed colors in the mole
• Diameter in the widest area greater than 6 mm
• Bleeding, scabbing or failure to heal, including ulceration
• Changing of the mole: including color, growth, ulceration or getting a new halo around it
• The mole looks much different than other moles on the same patient (often called an ugly duckling mole)
If you notice any changes in your moles or have one or more of the mole characteristics above be sure to see a doctor immediately as it could be skin cancer without your realizing it..
Schedule Your FREE Skin Care Consultation Today...
(866) 648-6540or visit the contact us page. If you'd like to order a FREE copy of the informative Looking Good, Feeling Great™ e-course: The 6 Secrets To Looking Younger Longer, visit the FREE Resources.
|Skin Rejuvenation Overview|
|Photofacials and Skin Tightening|
|Mole Removal and Skin Cancer|
|Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)|
|MicroNeedling for Younger Skin|
|Botox and Juvederm|
|Laser Hair Removal|
|Acne Correction Program|
|Microdermabrasion, Facials & Peels|
|PCA Skin Care Products|
|Nonsurgical Vein Treatments|
|Book an Appointment|
|6 Secrets to Looking
|Sign up to receive this informative, FREE e-course and find out firsthand how you can now look younger longer without surgery, downtime or having to spend a small fortune.
|Seeing Is Believing
Book an Appointment:
Weekday evenings - until 9 pm by request.
Reno Sparks MedSpa serves clients Washoe County, Storey County and Lake Tahoe Nevada including Carson City, Virginia City, Sun Valley, Pleasant Valley, Vista, Mustang, Verdi, Mount Rose, Washoe City, Franktown, Huffaker and the Tahoe ski resort towns in the Sierra Nevada.